Just as Ellis Island was the start of a new life for many immigrants entering America, Hackground is the start of new opportunities for people of all backgrounds. Hackground is committing to creating an inclusive environment for everyone to learn and create. As a community, we need diversity in all aspects of STEM in order to achieve our full potential in educating the community. In order to inspire change, we must understand the problem and we must be open to solutions, so Hackground is rolling out some new programs and workshops for mentors, coaches and students to participate in. Lastly, we must understand that inspiring diversity is everyone’s responsibility at Hackground.
- We need diversity in all aspects of STEM in order to achieve the full potential of the Hackground.
- In order to inspire change, we must understand the problem and we must be open to solutions.
- Inspiring diversity in STEM is everyone’s responsibility.
Specific Events (so far)
- 1/28/2018 FRC Girls’ Lunch at Sidamo Cafe
- Discuss students’ experiences at Hackground so far
- Resources for them as they continue their STEM careers
- 2/04/2018 Newsletter to Hackground
- Inform all mentors, coaches, students about the kickoff of a new diversity initiative
- 3/12/2018 First Culture Deck Pow-wow
- The first group of students and mentors got together to get the beginnings of a culture deck together!
- 4/28/2018 RobotFest – Outreach
- 5/02/2018 STEM Fair at Phelps Luck Elementary School – Outreach
Please send any questions, comments, or concerns to Ellis@thehackground.org!